Sunday, August 13, 2017

Retreating to try another day

Once you become consciously aware of just how powerful your thoughts are, you will realize everything in your life is exactly how you allow it to be. (Melanie Moushigian Koulouris)


Melanie's statement is true. I experienced often in my professional life that I am exactly one decision away from making the colleague in the office next door my friend or my adversary. The Christian thing to do, of course, is to make everyone your friend. But then, I am human as it turns out. I learned the hard way that from time to time I also have to think of myself. To over-ride an inner belief system requires energy, and I only have that much energy at my disposal. There are instances when going our separate ways is best for all parties involved. 


While I have learned to protect my boundaries and energy level in all my interactions, I do make the Holy Spirit my ally whenever I interact with people. The Holy Spirit powers my energy and allows me to hang out with people I trust 100 percent. I do give new friends the benefit of doubt. How wonderful it is to see HER miracles at work rather than the self-fulfilling suspicions of my over-active mind. But then, when the doubt does become overwhelming, I retreat to protect myself. Retreating now might still set me up later to deal with my friend when he is ready. The Holy Spirit will reconnect us when we both are ready to bring our friendship to the next level. But until that blessed day, I retreat to try another day.

No comments: