Monday, February 26, 2018

If they only knew

I said good-bye to my stressful job in the financial industry last year, and signed up for my new function as spiritual author, educator and coach instead. For a moment, I contemplated going back to school to get a quick training as a mental health professional to get personally involved in our rampant struggle with addiction everywhere. After all, I know something about the dark side, and my ten year spiritual Awakening journey has taught me a thing or two about the challenge of leaving the hungry ghosts of our past behind. So here I am in the FB Recovery Group, my only present day connection to addiction. I see the 1 year, 3 year and 5 year recovery celebrations. I see the daily success updates, just as I see the heart-braking ‘back to square one’ admissions.


Yet, in all this struggle there is an honesty, a strive and determination in this community that the majority of the so-perceived ‘well-to-do’ people can only dream about. Anyone who makes it in this recovery journey can make the spiritual quest from 0 to a 100 in a heart-beat. Spiritual Awakening is a full-contact discipline. Many talk the spiritual talk because it is so heart-warming, uplifting, and so ethical, but many shy away from facing the hurt of the past, or the pain of overwriting pre-existing reaction functions for the simple reason that it can be over-whelming. The true spiritual warriors are the ones who have no choice. They have to walk the walk, whether they like it or not.

As the saying goes in the New Testament, “Many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first!”; be proud of your fight, and do not regret where you are coming from. This is just the beginning …

No comments: