Monday, November 12, 2007

Willpower

These days there is quite a literature on Self-Empowerment. A good example is The Secret which has a very powerful message and I am sure has already transformed a number of people. Another favorite of mine in this direction is the Magnificient Obsession; it is a bit older and fictional, but equally uplifting. I am definitely drawn to these spiritual insights, but I am wondering one thing: are all the readers ready to receive the secret?
Assume for a moment we could bend the universe with our thoughts. How do we know whether we follow the right path. After all, Darth Vader did it and messed with many people's lives in the process. If I 'will' myself to be a healthy and happy person, this should be great for everybody. But what if I want to become the world's best quarterback, golfer or the CEO of a big company and 'will' myself to the top. Is is ok that my success will be the downfall for many others?

I enjoyed Chris Daughtry's recent song, Home. In it he states, be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it all and then some you don't want. My suspicion: Before you entitle yourself to use the laws of the universe for you goals, know thyself and understand why you have your desires. Otherwise you might be in for the same power trip as Anakin Skywalker.

No comments: