Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Secret of the Universe Revealed

Actually, I have to start this note with a few disclaimers. The secret I am talking about is much less ambitious than the one offerered in the recent bestseller book The Secret. For those of you who haven't read the book, I recommend it. It offers a true orgy of spiritual and material promises by a handful of impressive authors. Essentially, these people are saying that this universe is your oyster as long as you have the faith that it is. Personally, I have some reservations about the way their message is delivered (see my blog Willpower, 11/12/07), but I do think they are on to something.

The secret I am talking about is much less ambitious in nature. Actually, it is also not really a secret because it has been one of the most quoted phrases in the western civilization over the last 2000 years. I am talking about Matthew's (7:7)

Ask, and it shall be given to you
Seek, and ye shall find
Knock, and it shall be opened to you


You can take this phrase literally. As I stumble along my path of self-discovery, I often reach cross-roads where I really don't know in which direction I should proceed. I just ask the question and receive the answer pretty promptly. The only requirement is you need to have your ears and eyes wide open. The answer can be in a song, in a book, in a movie, in a painting and then of course can be provided by the network of people you are connected with, your friends as much as your foes. Try it, it works. When it comes to spiritual growth, the universe is your oyster after all.

No comments: