Thursday, May 27, 2010

If You are Going to San Francisco

I was at a conference in Europe recently and a professor from Berkeley introduced himself and the university he was from as the state where the Europeans go to escape from themselves. I guess he was referring to our spiritual crowd as we tend to settle in California; I at least have to admit that I am attracted to the state of sunshine and love.

My alarm bells tend to go off when I hear the word escape. It is true that there is a risk that in the name of spirituality you run away from the burdens and obligations your life confronts you with. However, after a few moments of contemplation I started smiling. Yes indeed I am escaping from myself. I am leaving this personality behind like an old skin.

If you are going to San Francisco, be sure you wear some flowers in your hair.

No comments: