Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On Becoming Number One

My hunch is that there are a number of Sons and Daughters of God on planet earth right now. They are all number one, that is, the universe is spinning around their creativity and lust to express themselves. It doesn't matter how many blessed ones are added - it is as if there was an Olympics and with every new contestant on the scene a new discipline is added to the tournament to accommodate everyone.

What does the road towards becoming number one look like? Imagine Tiger Woods being asked how easy it is for him to play superb golf and how hard it must be to remain the number one in golf. On a good day he would probably say: It is the easiest thing in the world. When I was on hole 6, I took my driver, visualized the spot I wanted to reach, took my position, felt my muscles as I raised the driver. At the time when I felt the moment was ready, all I could feel was a magnificent connection, a massive rip, the sound of the impact, the clapping and shouting, and when I looked up, I saw the ball landing exactly on the spot I had in mind.

On a bad day, he would probably say that getting up after lunch on a rainy Sunday afternoon is really hard, while he would rather play video games with the kids, but he has to do it because the British Open is coming up and only by practicing in the rain do you have a shot over there.

Probably most of us know the feeling of being connected, of going with the flow and just experiencing life unfolding magically according to our desires and in a way that we never could have imagined or visualized. But most of us probably also know the feeling that in order to stay connected to this force we have to part with some of our personality traits that are hard to give up.

If somebody asked me what exactly it means to be on a spiritual path I would say that you have the feeling that there is a force that allows you to only go forward; any turns sideways or backwards is promptly followed with a nudge that is impossible to ignore.

A wild horse in training probably feels the same way. It tries to break free with all its strength, but the rider's force directs it forward until it gives up its resistance and gallops with all its might in the right direction and rider and horse are in perfect synchronicity.

No comments: