Thursday, January 6, 2011

Joining Hands

A couple of the so-called enlightened folks  I read suggested that the spiritual aspirant should be in a permanent tiger state, i.e. always on the alert for the opportunity to reach enlightenment. The skies only open that often, they argue, so be ready whewn your chance comes along. Well, I certainly don't want to disagree with the enlightened community, but I would say that with this advice you do create a massive super-ego. "If only I didn't commit this sin, I would be enlightened today" some aspirants might conclude, which is, well, not very helpful.

I have the image of us aspirants joining hands together. Every step forward a single person in this chain takes propels somebody at the end of the chain higher. Similarly, when your time comes, your soul brothers and sisters will be lifting you up. Every step you take forwards helps this community, and every step backwards provides you with the precious learning opportunity that propels this community as well. If there is one crime against spirituality than it is to be afraid to move. So let's move up and away together!

No comments: