Monday, January 3, 2011

A Releasing Nightmare

I was walking in a town when the news hit the tape that the entire prison population of dangerous criminals had just escaped. My first thought was whether my boys were safe, and it turned out they were. When I tried to leave the street I felt how a group of convicts was approaching me from behind. One said "Look, fresh meat." I winced and thought "That gonna hurt and now I will get Aids". I was in a building and tried leaving through a fire escape. I hestitated for a moment, but a convict got me from behind. We fell through the window onto the fire escape. He had a completely white body and was muscular like a body builder, with his blood veins sticking out all over his body. His face looked like that of a monster. He was mad with rage and tried to pull me towards him. I was scared, but curious as well and to my surprise he couldn't advance. I, or something, kept him at arms-length. He was furious with anger and looked like he was ready to explode. But then, for a second, I saw a trace of fear on his face and woke up.

When I was awake I felt calm and happy. I realized that this monster was my own demon and finally he was out in the open. Yes, he still was strong, but in the light he will be fading like a mirage. This morning when I commuted into work I heard the 50 ways by Paul Simon on the radio. "Oh", I thought, "perhaps this song is about my demon".

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free

Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

No comments: