Monday, January 20, 2014

A Thank You Note to My Father

My father used to have an iron will when he made a living for himself and us. In order to succeed he would overcome any pain and would not spare any sacrifice. He was incredibly strong and could work continuously without taking any rest. As a  child I was scared of this super-human effort and felt it took part of him away from me. Perhaps that was the reason why went deliberately in the opposite direction. I disliked extreme commitment and sacrifice. I didn't appreciate the beauty of strength at all - I worshipped flexibility and serenity instead. I also accepted weakness in me.

All these years I lived away from him, I indulged in material pleasures and didn't really work hard at all. While I enjoyed my life, I started realizing that I had effectively limited myself by trying to be on the opposite side of the spectrum. Today I re-evaluate the treasures my father has given me. I am now willing to step outside my self-imposed comfort zone and face everything life confronts me with.

I am now willing to deal with yang energy and honor the gift of my father. Yes, strength, work ethics and sacrifice are as much part of the Way as flexibility, grace and serenity. Yin and yang dance in perfect harmony all the time and I am no longer sitting any dances out. I now combine the best of both worlds, the appreciation of yin with the ability of yang. I am his daughter and all his traits are at my disposal.

Dear father, thank you for having launched me on this beautiful path. Today I understand that you have made me perfect and I thank you for your incredible sacrifice and commitment. I feel that I have unwrapped your beautiful gift and I will keep it close to my heart for the rest of my life. Thank you my dear father!

By Su Zhen

No comments: