Monday, August 4, 2014

The Way of Darkness and Light

People often view the spiritual path as a search for light. In truth, spirituality asks us to bring light and darkness together in wholeness. And in fact, this is the only possible solution. In our world of duality, any effort to focus all attention on the light only serves to increase the power of the darkness. Our aim is not to deny or reject anything but to embrace it all.
(Quote on Spiritual Network)

Try to fight a "bad" habit and you will be caught in duality. I am not saying you can't overcome it, but I am saying you are wasting a lot of energy in this war against yourself. Ask instead, what does the urge try to tell me? What authentic need don't I grant to myself? What aspect of my life do I judge? What demon pops up whenever life's stresses get to me?

Every addiction, every pernicious habit and self-defeating action has a lesson in store for you. Again, you can try to beat it in the same way all others try to "better" themselves, but you can make this process so much more meaningful and empowering if you befriend your "dark" side at the same time. Along the Way of Darkness and Light there is tolerance, understanding and transcendence.

No comments: