Sunday, January 25, 2015

Enlightenment

Some in our spiritual community are called "enlightened" and automatically a hierarchy is created between them and the ordinary folks. Perhaps it is not really them; perhaps their publishers add this title to boost their marketability; perhaps their disciples lift them to that stage as it makes their own quest more meaningful. Either way, titles like that belittle the magnificence of the holy Now that is available to you and me at this blessed moment. If you asked me, "Are you enlightened?", I could respond "yes", but if I did, I would immediately add, "It is because of you; it is the holy Union that both of us enjoy here and now."

I remember seeing an author presenting who is in fact quite good at what he does. I suddenly noticed a woman sitting in the front row who was literally hanging on to every word he said. She looked mesmerized and I thought to myself, "this isn't right!". Don't get me wrong, I am not judging our spiritual leaders. They do their job just like you and I do ours. But I would like to alert you to the fact that the desire to be spiritual is also a way to be special. The ego is ingenious that way. We are all the same. As they say, "every saint has a past and every sinner has a future."

Namaste my friend. May the divine spark in you enlighten both of us!

No comments: