Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Meaning of Suffering

My father recently passed away. Since then I have experience incredibly pain, sadness, and fear. Yet, I also found instant relief when I realized that I was experiencing the common fate of all human beings. Why shouldn’t I experience these emotions as well? In fact, I felt connected to my fellow human beings through this experience. I felt compassion and love whenever I had this realization; my heart opened and my love towards all human beings was overflowing.

All of a sudden I could see the meaning of my suffering. How can we develop love or compassion towards our fellow human beings if we never experience any difficult times in our life ourselves!  As Tao travelers, we take every chance to learn, to open our heart. It takes courage to open up to all experiences, blissful well as difficult. As we open up, as we connect with other fellow travelers, suddenly, our sadness, pain, and fear disappears!  

Peace and silence. We experience our life as it is.  And all of a sudden, joy and lively energy fills us…Ah, life!

By Su Zhen 

No comments: