Friday, February 27, 2015

Embracing Life as Is

Nothing is either good or bad, only thinking makes it so. (William Shakespeare)

I used to think that there should be no stress, no pain, no fear, and no anxiety in life. Today I realize how this notion of life, as fun as it appears to be, is limiting as well. I don’t like to feel pain and stress in my life so I had many helpers, nannies and tutors to assist me with most of my responsibilities. But then life reminded me that I can't simply outsource everything. I do that at times, I run away from difficulties. Many of us don't like chaos, we hate insecurities and want to have a solutions for every problem. However, as a spiritual traveler I discovered that this pattern of escaping holds me back from experiencing the Way.  Instead of expanding, as life does constantly, I instead chose to live in a little bubble. Luckily, this observation set me free. 

What is life?  Do you think that other people’s life is better or worse than yours? No one knows how the fellow next door experiences his life, only God does. I wonder if despite all our differences we essentially experience life quite similarly. We all ride the emotional roller coaster, experience life's up and downs, thrills and disappointments. Yet, all of us have the chance to step out of the subconscious journey by totally engaging with it. Embrace life, face your fears, stand up to your anxieties, work hard at times and experience everything life has to offer. Just as we promise our spouse, we make a commitment in the good times as well as the bad. 

The spiritual master doesn't have to do a thing, life does everything for you. But you can only reach this level if you are bold enough to drop your agenda completely, get naked in front of your adversaries and just take life in as is. Let the feelings and emotions pass like the wind, experience thoughts and actions rise and fall without being attached to them. Become Her instrument with every breath you breathe and every step you take. The master takes it all in and lets life redistribute the resulting energy. The dreamer experience life with illusions and an agenda, welcomes the thrills and rejects the so-called bad stuff, creating only more self-imposed pain in the process.

Experience life as is.  Life is in fact like a banquet. But you shouldn't be shy to become at times the chef and occasionally a waiter. We cannot really tell you how your life should look like but we can tell you that you have the most skilled, patient and loving teacher at your disposal, life itself! Dive in and enjoy!

By Christian and Su Zhen

No comments: