Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Story of the Brilliant Actor

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
(William Shakespeare)

I remember as a child reading a Superman comics story in which an aspiring actor was in love with a man she was in awe of. He however considered her as an ugly duckling and was in love with a cheerleader type of a girl instead. It turned out that both women competed for a spot in a theater play and had a little role to play in front of the director. He wanted to undermine her and made a derogatory comment in front of the entire audience. What happened? The woman whose heart got broken that day got the job. She had to play the role of a grieving widow and the tears were rolling down her cheeks as if there was no tomorrow!

I remembered that story when I thought about my professional mentors. Dozens of names popped up: the people I idolized; the people who were there for me when I needed it the most, the people who turned me upside down, the people who taught me to see the world with new eyes. But I also remembered the people who broke my heart and infused me with the power of a 1000 hydrogen bombs to try much harder next time around. So in a strange way, all of them were important parts in my success story. I salute all of them! Who can you say who is your friend and who is your foe. Every voice makes you who you were born to be!

No comments: