- Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
was blind, but now I see.
- When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
- bright shining as the sun,
- we've no less days to sing God’s praise
- than when we’d first begun.
- (Amazing Grace, John Newton)
Do you know the origin of this song? John Newton was a captain on a slave boat, shipping Africans over to America. Perhaps tormented by the inhuman conditions of the slave trade the song "Amazing Grace" came to him. But even after receiving the apparently divine inspiration, he still continued in his gruesome shipping business until eventually he moved on.
What is the lesson learned in this? Accept life as is and see what inspiration comes to you. Who can say what is good or bad for your soul, and who can say what future begets the now. Never mind a few missed steps along the Way, just promise yourself to do better next time around and try again.
Amazing Grace has been bestowed on you here and now. Do something with it!