Friday, November 6, 2015

The Invisible Maestro in the Room

“I am here only to be truly helpful. I am here to represent the One who sends me. I don’t have to worry about what to say or what to do because the One who sends me will direct me. I am content to go where I am directed. I am content to go where I am directed knowing I don’t go alone.” (A Course in Miracles)

Have you ever participated in a work group discussion entirely without having an agenda? Have you observed how people state their intentions, how they either get happy or worked up about something they care about. But then, a new discussion point is added by someone else and the discussion changes focus entirely. It is a little like watching a symphony in action, all orchestrated by a Maestro that no one can see. 

I am a 'light worker' whose job it is to steer some of these discussions without having any agenda on my own. When I say that I am agenda-less I mean it in the true meaning of the word. Not only don't I care about what the implications are for me personally, but I also don't even root for a "good" meeting. I am not concerned about the meetings implications for me personally not because I am self-less, but because I could never really say what is "good" or what is "bad". When people love me right now, that might be just be moments before the fall; or when people hate me, that may just mean that my perspective is about to see the light of the day!

The same insight applies for the group meeting dynamics more generally. Should the meeting be amicable? Well, perhaps we are all missing the boat and the meeting requires a hot head who passionately argues differently than everyone else. So who can say what exactly constitutes a "good" meeting and what not. Perhaps the confrontation stirs the creative juices of all the participants. So let a higher authority figure out what the outcome of the get-together should be. But my role is clear enough - I am here to be truly helpful! That is the only role I am performing and it is a powerful one as that. The One who sent me knows what She is doing, and I am just waiting for my cue to dance with the music. 

With a mission statement like that, how can you not be happy? If you are worried about your compensation in a competitive capitalistic society, see for yourself that She who sent you will make sure that this job is worth your while!

No comments: