Tuesday, June 7, 2016

What Do You Wish For?

Turned away from it all 
like a blind man.
Sat on a fence but it don't work.
Keep coming up with love 
but it's so slashed and torn.

Insanity laughs under pressure we're cracking.
Can't we give ourselves one more chance? 
Why can't we give love that one more chance?
 
This is ourselves under pressure.
(Under Pressure, Queen/Bowie)

If there was a gini popping out of the bottle that you just opened, what would you wish for? I remember the response of an honest spiritual traveler a while back who replied, a castle to live in, a billion dollars and a harem. Yup, that is the answer that would cross the mind of many guys if we were just bold enough to express our deepest longings. But then, on second thought, be careful what you wish for.


Last night I had a strange dream. I talked to the boss of my boss, and told her that when I am under a lot of pressure when my strategy calls have gone sour, and if I somehow don't crack under the weight of this pressure, something in me shifts and I am a different person coming out of it on the other side. Clearly, the risk to get fired at work is not an experience I would wish for when the gini pops out of the bottle, but after a professional slump like this happened, I would also never wish away this bitter-sweet experience either. It is very much part of the spiritual process of growing up. We just have to respect what the soul wants.


Perhaps the truth is somewhere in between these childish ego craving and the spiritually more mature, but perhaps a bit masochistic soul appreciation of pain. So perhaps we can formulate our wish like that: some steamy sex, lots of passion, some appreciation and admiration of our creation, abundance, spiritual expression of our SELF, plenty of spiritual insights along the WAY,  some magic in our day-to-day experience, and always, always and always, the company of our loved ones. That's what after some reflection my response to the generous gini might well be. In short, he might as well go back into the bottle. I appreciate life just as is.

No comments: