Thursday, August 25, 2016

On Disappointment

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. (Michael Jordan)

Disappointment means explosion in the future; the point in time when all the accumulated frustration bursts to the surface and finally gets channeled in a positive direction. A lesson learned means we make fewer mistake in the future. Earlier this year I had a professional call to make. It worked out well, but quite frankly, I never would have made it on my own. I simply followed the SIGNS and was played by the WAY like a marionette is swung around by the puppet master. It started when a portfolio manager "accidentally" kicked me under the table when I had the choice to make a comment. I never would would have made it without his "encouragement", but once I did there was no turning back. Back and forth the events went. There were many weeks when I looked like a complete fool but eventually the investment recommendation worked out just as I had predicted.

It doesn't really matter what happens. My investment call earlier this year worked out fine, but there are others that haven't. Who knows what ramifications these frustrations will have in the future. Likely these are the seeds for future lessons learned and surprisingly "positive" outcomes are bound to come of them, that is, as long as I still have the Jordanesque drive to see them through. The wheels of life are spinning and life eventually has a habit of creating beautiful outcomes come rain and shine. Disappointment is part of the process.

No comments: