Monday, October 10, 2016

Come to the Edge


"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We are afraid!"
"Come to the edge."
'We can't. We will fall."
"Come to the edge."

And they came. And he pushed them. And they flew.
(Guillaume Apollinaire)



Why do I dislike my forecasting job so much? Because I know that I don't know, yet I also know when it is my job to step up to the edge whether I see the bridge to the other side or not. In the olden days I thought I knew, whereas today I know I didn't then either. But I felt better because I thought I knew. My forecasting accuracy may have gone up over time while my delusion factor certainly has gone down. It hurts to make decisions under uncertainty but - for the time being at least - that's the edge GOD sends me to all the time. And the amazing thing, whether right or wrong, once you cross the edge you always discover that you can fly.

What's your edge in life? Chances are, you will find the edge there.

No comments: