Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Pressure Cooker Called Life

“However much we may be willing and able to learn from our experience, the lessons which we learn must still depend upon our attitude to life, because it is ultimately our philosophy that will decide the value and meaning of our experience. If we should chance to run away, with our backs turned towards experience, how can life teach us anything? Yet to escape from suffering is the chief motive in some folks’ philosophy. Others have such definite ideas about what life ought to be, that they can never stop to notice what life is.” (E. Graham Howe & William Stranger. “The Druid of Harlem Street")


I would love to run away and find "peace of mind" in a monastery somewhere, but alas, our two boys are growing to become teen-agers, with many bills to pay, and they need guidance as well. I know what it means to have a detached father since mine fell victim to bi-polar when I was in my teens. This movie ends here and I will carry my weight in the battle field called life until they are ready to stand on their own feet.

What is your constraint that forces you to do things you rather would do without? Well, as they saying goes, do what you have to do until you can do what you love to do. It is not a sacrifice, it is an investment. In we go into the pressure cooker called life and allow it to transform us into the diamond we are born to become.


What others might classify as constraints and necessities, I honor you because you make me who I was born to be. If it hurts a little to be pressured into a priceless diamond, so be it!

No comments: