Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A First-rate Madness

Nassir Ghaemi had a stroke of genius when he wrote his book, "A First-Rate Madness" in which he observed that many of the truly influential decision makers and artists had little quirks here or there. We are afraid of madness because the "rational brain" doesn't understand it. Well, we spiritual folks are perhaps more scared of the rational brain and don't mind a little madness as long as it happens in the spirit of love.

I have an understanding for madness because my father left me a "gift", a progeny towards bi-polar. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be classified as mentally unstable by our medical profession; some may call me moody at the worst. Yet, I know deep down inside what it means to be bi-polar. I experience the depth of depression for a few days, but still manage with my buddy coffee to keep going just fine. I also feel the height of ecstasy on a few sun-flooded days. As a matter of fact, it was on sparkling days like these when I discovered GOD's messengers for the first time.

I have found my ways to fit into the "sane" society we live in. On the emotional flow days, I am just a little theatrical to get my points across. On the days of emotional ebb, I keep to myself and get my more technical research done at work. The DAO lines me up perfectly with the flow of life. My emotional mood swings are perfectly synchronized with life's ups and downs; certainly with the lunar and celestial patterns; and on many occasions even with the weather.

Would you care to share your first-rate madness?

No comments: