Saturday, June 24, 2017

Finding Serenity in the Battlefield of Life

The SELF cannot be pierced by weapons or burned by fire; water cannot wet it, nor can the wind dry it. IT is everlasting and infinite, standing on the motionless foundations of eternity. The SELF is unmanifested, beyond all thought, beyond all change. Knowing this, you should not grieve. (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad Gita)

I am in the fight of a lifetime. At work our group has been held together by some good leadership and a lot of earned good-will of the colleagues who have been working together for a long time. Unfortunately the gloves have come off recently because management has essentially given the the message that everyone that their job is on the line. They claim the group will be downsized put under new leadership. Everyone is scared as a consequence, while some hope for the chance to move up in the upcoming power shuffle. 

 I am not happy about the situation given that I have spent years trying to build it. I may lose my job anyway, but I still show up every day to see my mission through. Nothing has changed for me personally though. I still pursue the path of cooperation and collaboration, but don't shy away from conflict either. Nothing has changed in fact, the same rules of the WAY apply and I dance with life challenges just as a I would have done any time before. 

The true war happens at home. The ego fellow tells me that I am doomed and that my spiritual mindset simply doesn't work in a business setting. Success or failure, GOD will have a message for me how to proceed. Yes, it takes effort to stand up to bad energy, and yes, the ego is having a field day exploiting it. Yet, that's what a spiritual path is all about, isn't it? 

Psalm 23 maintains, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for THOU art with me; THY rod and thy staff they comfort me". Never mind the tunnel and the lack of light, my peace of mind shall return. The funny thing is, at work the peace of mind is always there because no matter what, I can always see the WAY, and that's all I aspire anyway.

This note starts with a quote of the the Blue Lord telling Arjun that he has a war to fight whether he likes it or not. That is the mission I am facing right now. Success or failure, I will be fine. Either you are happy here and now, or you never will.  I just show up every day and do my work. In a strange way I have found serenity in the battlefield called life.

No comments: