Monday, May 7, 2018

This World is a Figment of Our Imagination

The world we see projects
the mind we have.
True peace, true happiness is
independent of the world.
(Based on a poem by Wu’hsin; my edits)


I remember once sitting with my father-in-law in a café waiting for my wife and her sister to return from shopping. It was a beautiful New England summer day and everything around us seemed to be sparkling. My father-in-law looked up from his newspaper and saw some poorly dressed Latinos enter the mall. Disgusted he turned back to his newspaper and complained, ‘Everything in the US is so ugly!’ It was then when I understood that we don’t see the world as is, we see it based on the story our mind tells us.


How to reach peace and happiness? Allow your third eye to open! We cannot stop the feelings that rush through our bodies. We cannot silence the thoughts that pop into our head. Yet, no one forces to act on them. We can let them pass by just as clouds on the horizon drift in the wind. Writes Haim G. Ginott: “I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous.”

How true! This world is a figment of our imagination.

No comments: