Saturday, May 4, 2024

First admit your issues, then you can let go of them

I was watching a J. Krishnamurti video in which he stressed the problematic gap between fact and ideal, and he gave the example, “I am ambitious. It’s a fact”. I paused the recording and said out loud, “I want to be somebody!” Immediately I fell in a state of deep serenity. It was as if a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. Naturally I had observed this drive in me, I had even used it in letting go exercises before, but it was only lip service.

 

In the letting go self-help group that we run, the emphasis is on understanding the issue that clings to us, not the desire to get rid of what bothers us. It was only today that I got this subtlety. Intellectually, I had fought this admission as it wasn’t the spiritual thing to do. So, when I spoke out the sentence, “I let go of the desire to be someone”, no energy was moving. What a relief to just admit to myself that “I want to be somebody”. In that serenity I didn’t even feel the need to say anything else. Serenity prevailed at that moment.


No comments: