Thursday, June 27, 2024

Here and now our notion of self is not

 Our self-perception is divisive. I have a body that is different from yours, so we must be different. A friend once said to me that we are all separate islands distant from each other. At that time, I didn’t have the wits to reply, “Yes, but do you realize that they are all connected beneath the water?”

 

We are in a magnificent virtual reality show where you reflect back to me what is meaningful at the present moment. Either I will embrace the other or focus on myself. As Rumi also once observed, “Everyone is God speaking, so why not be polite and listen!”

 

The nature of self is division but the self itself is illusionary. Every craving, every aversion is a division from what is. What we perceive ourselves to be has dreams and fears. The system is trying to become. In the here and now our notion of self cannot sustain itself.


No comments: