Monday, July 15, 2024

Empty consciousness

 There are brief priceless times when no thoughts are generated, when there is no noticeable reaction to or even registering any internal or external stimuli; yet consciousness still goes on as a powerful presence.

Gerald May, Will and Spirit

 

I sit in my living room and have a look at the massive trees behind me swaying in the wind. There is no mental commentary, no remembering the past or anticipating the future; there is only the here and now. I am in that state of “empty consciousness” often when I am with people too. I listen, I see, I sense, but it occurs in a state of emptiness.

 

Can we learn this state of “empty consciousness”? Does regular meditation help us getting into that state? I wouldn’t know, being in that state is my meditation instead. No, I would say instead that “empty consciousness” is a signpost of spiritual living. When we are not there, something is off, and we have the opportunity to get to the root cause of the interference.

 

One of my more advanced friends put his state of spiritual being in the following way. He said he perceives body, mind and the world as is, but in the background, there is always that presence he is connected with. Occasionally he may be out of it, but he again reconnects pretty soon. I would call that mindfulness, but it isn’t quite empty consciousness.

 

Can we get better at being Zen? No, but we can become aware of our energy state, both within and without just as my friend’s mindfulness method. But then, when life’s energies converge with ours the mind becomes still. “Empty consciousness” cannot be found as it is already part of our nature. There is nothing to be created, achieved or uncovered, as it is present.

 


No comments: