Monday, November 9, 2015

Religion versus Spirituality

I remember reading "The Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary R. Renard and thought that it was enlightening, if it wasn't for one single sentence in the entire book that rubbed me the wrong way. It stated that Jesus was an enlightened master (which doesn't surprise me), while Buddha needed one more life-time (that no-one knows about) and then graduated to Ascended Master status. Don't get me wrong, I don't profess that I know anything about any of this, but my suspicion rose that this was a New Age attempt of Christianity to prove its superiority over other faiths.

The other day I was flipping through the "Course in Miracles" and once again observed how breathtakingly true every single sentence reads to me, just as the Bhagavad Gita does, as well as the Tao Te Ching. It seems to me that all three books have been inspired by divinity, yet the focus is a bit different: In the Course in Miracles and the Bhagavad Gita the reader looks up to the older brother Jesus, and the human God, Lord Krishna, while in the Tao Te Ching and in Buddhism we are asked to discover divinity by studying people, the holy Now and our Self instead. Christianity and the Bhagavad Gita are about striving towards divinity, and it is thus closer to religion in mindset. Buddha and Lao-Tzu discover divinity within and in the holy Now in contrast, and it is thus closer to a scientific or spiritual mindset.

I spend my spiritual path with a scientific mindset, just observing the holy Now in people and events, as well as my response to it. It is a lot of fun to collect these observations and stories and share them with my readers in mediums like this one. I very much consider myself as a spiritual scientist. So if it takes a few extra life-time to advance to the next spiritual plane with this approach, so be it!

No comments: