Wednesday, February 3, 2016

What's Your Spiritual Mission?

A friend who hangs out with climate change scientists told me that some of them described Bill Gates as an egomaniac. From the sound of it, that sounds rather strange. After all, he is pouring billions of dollars into the development of new technologies to save the planet from unsustainable climate trends. Bill Gates should be called a philanthropist, not an egomaniac, right?


It is a fascinating problem statement. If Bill Gates sets out to save the world then he definitely has an agenda that we spiritual folks should applaud. So should we care if he does it with his agenda and fixed belief sets in mind? What exactly is our spiritual mission? Are we here to help the world? Or is the world here to help us to find our SELF as we set out to help the world?


Imagine you live in the most beautiful surroundings with the most beautiful soul mates, just like it was in the Garden of Eden. You may succeed for a few years, but eventually life catches up with you. The reason is simple, unless you are thrown a little out of your comfort zone, you will not experience that your SELF is different from who you think you are. Helping the world is a worthwhile goal, but at the end of the day remember that the world's whole purpose is to bring you HOME. 


I had my wake-up call at my work as a financial strategist where I did get beaten up by forces outside of my control a few times. It is only in these moments of darkness, that I discover a massive ego in me. I would never know this force if I just sat in my beautiful home writing fancy spiritual essays. So in the meantime I have turned my strategy around. Instead of wishing for peace, I accept and embrace all of life's ups and downs. Life's timing is perfect in bringing the OBSERVER to the fore who is behind this ego experience. 


Define your life's mission and get it implemented. Put your best foot forward to see it through, but relax at the same time. No matter what you do, GOD communicates with you every step of the WAY, and that is, for us spiritual travelers anyway, the only goal worth living for.

No comments: