Monday, August 15, 2016

Twenty-three - The Number of Excellence

Michael Phelps announced his retirement at the 2016 Olympics, so it looks like 23 gold medals will be the Olympic record to beat for a while. Michael Jordan's retired Chicago Bull jersey was 23 as well. (Magic Johnson's number was 32, but in numerology the order of the numbers is irrelevant). So 23 appears to be a symbol of extraordinary achievement. The spiritual traveler may also know King David's Psalm 23, "The Lord is my Shepherd" which is the Judaic equivalent of the Chinese DAO, the Way. That is, the trust that everything that happens is GOD's PATH designed especially for us.

As many of you know, I am a DAO traveler, and I have always equated the number 5 (=2+3) with the WAY, or life itself. Life may be perceived as scary at times, but if you always trust in Psalm 23, you know that you operate in the best of all worlds. Symbolically, you add your love for something (symbolized by the number 2) to divinity, represented by the Holy Trinity (the FATHER, the SON, and the SPIRIT). Viewed from that perspective, life can't get any more spiritual than that.

My sister-in-law made a blue coffee mug in 2003 with my name written in Hindi letters on it, and decorated with the OM symbol on the other side. I doubt that she, or anyone else for that matter, can figure out my symbolic interpretation when I refill my "23" cup to get ready for the next project :)

No comments: