Thursday, October 6, 2016

Active Rest

Stop thinking too much. It's alright not to know the answers. They will come when you least expect it. (Quote from Spiritual Networks Community)

I was in the gym the other day when I overheard one of the fitness coaches discussing the concept of "active rest". The idea is that after a high intensity work-out one day, you do some light exercises on the next day, such as going jogging or doing some yard work. "It builds muscles much better than mere rest", he said.

The concept of "active rest" resonated with me. I realized that I have been trying too hard, not in the gym mind you, but along my spiritual path. To give you just one example, I used to consider the many hours on the field watching our boys playing their sports as a waste of my time. "I could be working on my blog or my book instead", I would think to myself. Today I know, this forced downtime is exactly what the doctor orders. Consider this period of duties and responsibilities as "active rest"; it's the creative tie when new observations are made and prior ideas germinate. 

The Holy Now is where we meet GOD. Yes, we can meet HER at church, in spiritual essays or in the library as well, but most importantly, SHE is wherever we are right now. Enjoy your "active rest"; everything that happens is yet another step along the WAY.

No comments: