Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Battle Cry

Don't much like quitters son.
(John Wayne, Billboard Ad)

I am sitting here in the middle of a professional movie plot that will take a long time to play out. My more rational spiritual side wants to fast-forward the movie and focus on the projects that are more meaningful to me, like writing my spiritual books. Yet, what exactly should I write about? It is in the busyness of life when I get my inspirations. So it turns out, life decides differently, and so be it. Arjun cried "Why me?" on the battle field of a - to him anyway - senseless war, but the Blue Lord told him it that it was time to do his job, whether he liked it or not.

This story line happens often to us spiritual travelers. We feel that we deserve love, peace and happiness, so we want to 
run away from the ugliness of life, in search of peace. Yet all the challenges we face are there for a reason. There is so much resentment, hidden anger, suppressed desires and karma buried inside all of us, and life has a habit of getting it out on the surface. So face your challenges, get your job done by diving right into the busyness of life. Get whatever you have to do done with once and for all. I am with John Wayne on this one, if Jesus managed to survive his 40 days in the desert, and Siddhartha seven years in the jungle, who are we to quit on what life throws at us. Bring it on!

No comments: