Saturday, January 28, 2017

On Being a Spiritual Mentor

Take my advice, I am not using it.
(Unknown)

There was a time when I wanted to become a life coach for my next career, but when I realized how much I struggled myself to keep my head above water, I quickly dropped that aspiration.

The nice thing about being a writer is that no matter what life throws at us, no matter whether we swim upstream or downstream, or whether we are just about to hit a water fall, life always gives us plenty of insights and material to write about. The writer only has to be willing to bear the pain without deflecting in and has to be able to enjoy life, even if it is only vicariously on occasions.

I have been a writer for a while now and realized that I can be a spiritual mentor at the same time. It is fine to guide others as long as we have the guts and the stamina to swallow the bitter medicine we prescribe ourselves. We have to practice what we preach, but if our students can do it, so can we. Teacher and student inspire each other and enjoy the SPIRIT at work.

The corollary, however, would be that if there is ever a time when we have solved all of life's complicated problems and have eaten the wisdom with spoons - as we put it in German - this might well be a perfect time to retire. I hope I remember this insight when the time comes.

No comments: