Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The Network of Trust and Love

'Cause all of me
loves all of you.
Love your curves and all your edges;
all your perfect imperfections.
Give your all to me,
I’ll give my all to you.
You’re my end and my beginning
even when I lose, I’m winning.
(John Legend, All of Me)


The average tenure at a job these days for the folks in their twenties and thirties is just a few years. Gone are the days when workers locked themselves into an institution with the implicit promise that this organization will one day take good care of them. Well, as it turns out, in our capitalistic society this faith is regularly broken, so it makes good sense that our younger generation learns to look out for themselves. Shop around until you find the people who trust and love you.


Firms, institutions and organizations don’t love you back. People do! No matter where you go, and no matter whether your stay with a firm ends up being successful or not, you will always find people you love to work and hang out with. While your resume accumulates titles, positions and work places over the years, your friends become part of a network that you can take with you no matter what.


The Course in Miracles says, “Remember that those who attack are poor.” How true! If you offer a hand to someone in good faith who afterwards takes advantage of you, so be it. Yoshua advised us to offer the other cheek not because we should invite abuse. but simply to demonstrate to ourselves and the world that it doesn’t matter. We are only concerned with our network of trust and love; all turkeys are ruthlessly banned from there.


I started out with John Legend’s ‘All of me loves all of you’ because it beautifully expresses the perfect imperfections that surround us. Give your all to the people you trust and love, and you will win, even in the cases when some may conclude that you lose.

No comments: