Monday, August 18, 2014

What Spiritual Type Are You?

The magic works through you. Not beside you. Not around you. Not for you. Through you. Choose your stage, do your dance, stake your claim.
The Universe (tut.com)

I am a spiritual traveler and always thought the journey towards God means that we are on a mission that simply washes away all of our personality traits until all that remains is divine bliss. Today I would call this perspective somewhat naive and a bit misleading. A spiritual journey is a transition to a new personality structure. We all have our different spiritual role to play based on our intrinsic character traits. Some raise other spiritual giants in families; others influence the directions of organizations, politics and countries. Some are teachers, social workers, friends, artists and script writers. We build a network of spiritual connections that shape the evolution of (wo)mankind. And while we all may intuitively understand where the other comes from, we will still be quite different, even as spiritual travelers.

Just like the story of the elephant and the three blind men; I say that I hold onto something flexible as a snake (trunk), whereas you say that you feel something as big as a tree trunk (foot) whereas a third feels a spear (tusk). We define the elephant in the aggregate but only by sticking to our unique spiritual type.

Steven Reiss in "Who Am I?" contrasted some 16 character dimensions that supposedly define us; I shrunk his list down to 12. Have a look and tell me how you fit into this 12-dimensional scale. How have particular attributes changed since you started your spiritual path?

Power: the desire to control or to influence others
Independence: the desire to be self-reliant
Curiosity: the desire for knowledge
Acceptance: the desire to be accepted by others
Order: the desire for organization
Saving: the desire to put something aside for the future
Honor: the feeling of loyalty towards an ideal
Social: the desire to be connected to others
Family: the ties to parents, children, and other relatives
Status: the desire for social standing
Romance: the importance of sex and soul connection
Tranquility: the desire for emotional calmness

When I reflect on my path I feel that my current area of influence has been put in place for me decades ago. It was a Force beyond my consciousness that set me up for this mission. I accept this path, but today I am working hard on crafting my next area of influence; that of a writer and a spiritual coach. Value your heritage and your history but don't feel shy either to lay the foundation for your next area of influence. We already had the Buddha, Christ and Lao-Tzu, we now need you to show up. Find your corner of influence - the Universe exists just for you to express yourself.

No comments: