Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Long Night of the Full Moon

Stop trying to "fix" yourself; you're NOT broken. You are perfectly imperfect and powerful beyond measure.
(Dr Steve Maraboli)

My father has bi-polar and I feel his "dis-ease" in my bones. Like him, I have trouble sleeping and there are nights when I realize at 1 pm that this was just as much sleep as I am likely to get. I know for a fact that astrology works because I can feel the moon in my "system". Give me a rainy 2 pm night near a full moon embedded in a powerful star constellation and a tornado runs through me.

Isn't unfair that I can't sleep the way others can and isn't unfair that my father was never able to shake his illness and had to endure it for 40 years? Isn't it unfair that my livelihood depends on a stressful market place that evokes fears, manic depressions and greed? Probably, but it may just be that you can enjoy my writings because of it. Writing is my way out of the dilemma. I just sit here and face the storm without doing anything about it. No alcohol, no coffee, no medications, no distractions and no escapes - I just sit here and transform the creativity of the energy-laden situation into this note. 

The German poet Goethe once said, "only the inadequate is productive". Once you truly feel the meaning of this realization in your bones, you are Home. Nothing can get you, nothing can upset you. All frustration is channeled into creative actions. Fact of the matter is that you can't blame God for where you end up, only yourself. But fact of the matter too is the realization that with every step of the Way you have God right next to you and She gives you the creative outlet to find your Self. Please use the long night of the full moon to find yours. It might be meditation, it might be writing or painting; it might be dancing,  sex or connecting with others; it might be martial arts or kick-boxing; it might be praying or appealing to your guiding spirits. No matter what you do, use that priceless opportunity to discover that you are perfectly imperfect and powerful beyond measure. 

No comments: